Sunday, May 22, 2005

Early Morning's First Light

Early morning’s first light
Wild grasses' delicate blades
Transparent dewdrops

About twenty years ago, after separating from my first wife, I lived alone in the Berkshire Apartments, near American University for several years. During this period – I can’t remember why - I decided that I would write six haiku a day for an entire year. (Readers unfamiliar with Haiku can checkout http://www.toyomasu.com/haiku/#whatishaiku and many other sources on line).

Though life in Faquier Country might create a mindset congenial to Haiku, I haven’t written one for years. But this morning, upon awakening, lying in bed alone and looking out the bedroom window, I experienced a classic Haiku moment. My description of the experience is found in the verse above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home