Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Death in the Family

My father died suddenly last weekend. Here is how I wrote about this time of transition and sadness, but also celebration, to a close friend:

I wanted to share with you the news that my father died last Saturday. We had all observed his precipitous weakening, mentally and physically over the past few weeks though the end came more suddenly than we expected. Clearly the time had come for him to move on to another life. It is truly a blessing to have had long lived parents. Especially with my father, we spent long hours together, one on one, over many years. There were few, in any, unanswered questions or unexpressed thoughts. We were 'complete' when he died. How could anyone ask for more? He was a good man, a good father and a good role model, though we differed in many ways. In frequent, long conversations, we came to relish our differences as well as our similarities. They added spice to our times together. I will miss him deeply.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter when it comes, it can't be easy when you have a good, mature relationship with a parent. My condolences.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home