Sunday, November 23, 2008

Durable and reliable guidance for these troubled economic times

Each passing day seems to bring further news of stock market losses, job cuts, mortgages foreclosed and bankruptcies of corporate icons contemplated. Last week we witnessed the spectacle of the “big three” auto presidents - Ford, General Motors and Chrysler - traveling to Washington in their private jets to plead for government handouts. All of us are seeking guidance at a time when many whose “wisdom” and “integrity” we trusted have failed us.

This morning’s Gospel message at Leeds Church provided guidance from a more reliable and durable source. The quotation is from the book of Matthew in the New Testament of the Christian Bible, Chapter 25, verses 31-46.

"But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all his holy angels with him, then he shall sit on the throne of his glory. "And there will gather before him all the nations, and he will choose them one by one, like the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. "And he sets the sheep from his right and the goats from his left.

"That is when the King says to those from his right, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom that was destined for you from the foundations of the universe." For I was hungry and you gave me to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me to drink. I was an outcast and you took me in. 'I was naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to me. '

"Then the saintly will say to him, 'Our Lord, when did we see you hungry and we fed you, or you were thirsty and we gave you drink? 'And when did we see you an outcast and we took you in, or when were you naked and we clothed you? 'And when did we see you ill or in prison and we came to you?' And the King replied and told them, 'Amen, I am telling you, that whatever you do for one of these my little brethren, for me you have done

"Then he will say also to those on his left, 'Go away from me you accursed to eternal fire, that is set for the Devil and his angels. 'For I was hungry and you did not give me to eat. I was thirsty and you did not give me to drink. 'I was an outcast and you did not take me in. And I was naked and you did not cloth me. And I was ill and in prison and you did not visit me.'

"Then they too shall reply and say, 'Our Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or an outcast or naked or ill or in prison, and we did not serve you?' Then he will reply and say to them, 'Amen, I am telling you, that whatever you did not do for one of these little ones, neither did you do it for me.' And they will go these to eternal* torment and the saintly to eternal life."

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home