Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Another hubris lesson - this one having to do with laundry

Melatonin not withstanding, I woke up at 3:30 this morning could not get back to sleep. The time difference between Singapore and Washington DC is 12 hours. After 45 minutes of meditation I removed a large load of laundry from the dryer, planning to fold it before I started the day’s tasks. I was very proud of the fact that, despite fatigue on Monday night, I had put my white laundry in the washer and, then, yesterday morning, loaded it in the dryer. Focus and efficiency! Except that... I noticed some curious black spots on my favorite white cotton Khurtas. I had left a pen in pocket of one and all were stained. My morning agenda changed. I spent the next hour our so scrubbing out stain spots with a clorox detergent mixture and then removing stain marks from the inside of the dryer. These were not the tasks I had planed for my wide awake early morning hours.


There is a useful lesson in this about smugness, hubris and not putting a large load of unsorted laundry in the washer when one is exhausted from and international trip. Hopefully I will remember on my next return from overseas.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Good to hear you made it back safely!
If I didn't know better, I would see this as a lesson to not do my own laundry. But I suppose this wasn't the point you were trying to get across.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Gillian Martin Mehers said...

Hi there - I hope you had a great trip! I have these moments too, and don't even need an international trip to get way in front of myself and competely lose track of what I am doing at the moment. The two times I have filled my diesel car with unleaded gas in the last year remind me of that (with much embarrassment and considerable cost associated with this particular lesson!) Nice to read you and all the best, Gillian

12:09 PM  
Blogger Arsttn said...

Hi, just returned from a trip to Mozambique, South Africa, and Senegal. I arose at 4:00 a.m. thinking of the trip and what I should have gotten accomplished. Why so negative...hmmm...thought of the words "Home is the sailor... Googled them and your blog appeared. My laundry is piled on the floor. I will check the pockets for pens and my hubris later. After 29 hours of travel, hubris should not be a factor?

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home