Sunday, May 30, 2010

Perhaps the most moving book dedication to a marriage partner I have ever read

Journalist Tom Plate has just completed a short book entitled Conversations with Lee Kuan Yew. More about the book in another posting. The book was “launched” last week and I attended one of the launch events, held at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (my temporary ‘home’).


Before beginning his book talk, Plate did something not-unusual, which was to introduce his wife, Andrea, who had accompanied him on the trip. This is a familiar ritual when a wife is present, however his introduction was unusual. He took a few minutes to describe his wife’s work (see below) and concluded with an observation. He said he viewed his wife’s work as far more important than his own, and suggested we might find speaking with her to be more interesting than speaking with him, when the talk was over. He seemed absolutely sincere. Unfortunately, I had to leave early to catch the shuttle bus and had no time to speak with her, which I very much would have liked to do.


But I did buy a copy of the book and in the front was Plate’s dedication, which I believe is worth sharing. Those who are both married and have written books and/or been married to someone who has, will appreciate it most.


To Andrea, Darvi Plate, MSW, LCSW


who endured the not inconsiderable efforts and author’s isolation that produced this book with her customary knowing stares, stoic wails and quiet pain. She holds academic degrees from UC Berkeley, USC and UCLA, but her work with the severely challenged veteran population at the U.S. Veterans Administration Hospital in West Los Angeles, California, was too all consuming to permit her time to read any drafts. Even so, without her ... well, probably, there might be no book, for she is greatly responsible for the wonders of my life and the steadiness of my career as an international journalist.

She is my wife and who wouldn’t be lucky to have her.




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Wildlife Whisperer said...

It also seems to be the most genuine dedication that I have come across :)

10:33 PM  
Blogger pragzz said...

How adorable. I teared up as I read it. Thanks for sharing...

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home