Sunday, May 22, 2005

Who's Out There

I have been writing dormgrandpop for about eight months. For me this was a new genre, though the first person accounts of anthropologists and oral historians such as Studs Terkil have always engaged me. I learned about it by reading the blogs of AU students and others, chosen more or less at random and then made adaptations that reflected my interests, relatively mature years and position as “agent” of American University.

My primary intended audience is AU students, particularly my Anderson Hall neighbors. I write to provide a somewhat different window on one Professor’s life than students will experience in the classroom or office hours.

I receive relatively few “comments” but a number of students tell me they number among my readers, at least sporadically. AU administrators, too, have read what I write occasionally – and let me know when they agreed and disagreed. With one exception, there has been no attempt to censor. On one memorable occasion, a blog I wrote about having the flu produced an anonymous gift of chicken broth, fresh vegetables and cornbread. Probably, I will remember that spontaneous generosity to my dying day.

In any case, I thought I would ask those to may read this and feel; so inclined, to drop me a line. I would be interested to know who you are (i.e. student, administrator, parent, other non AU reader) and what you think of what I write.

This is not to say that I am writing to please a particular audience. I am simply trying to communicate authentically, albeit circumspectly, about what I do and reflect upon. If, at least on some – or even most - days, this is of no interest to anyone, that is hardly surprising and not a problem.

Anyhow, I am curious about who is out there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,
I enjoy reading your electronic journal. I am not a good writer in English, but I would love to be a part of a discussion group. Simona

1:58 PM  
Blogger dormgrandpop said...

Thanks Simona. I have thought of staring a discussion group but at the moment, writing a periodic blog is all I seem to be able to manage. However don't hesitate to send me future comments, English notwithstanding, and I will do my best to respond.
Dormgrandpop.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi John,

I have been reading your blog off and on since I met you at RA training last fall. Something about a professor who was willing to not only live with students in a dorm, but also that dorm being on South side peaked my interest. I was a Resident Assistant out in Park Bethesda, being so far off campus I am sorry I never really got the opportunity to know either you or Joe better.

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Johnny,
I thought it was about time that I check up on what you've been doing/thinking. I guess it was reading about the bombings in London that motivated me. I don't read your musings on any kind of a regular basis but now and then I do like to see how you are doing. I look forward to seeing you at the next family gathering.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~love, Brook

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home