Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Dalai Lama's Audiobooks - A note to my son

Dear [Son]

I have begin listening to audiobooks on my ipod. I do this, in particular, in the morning after a period of meditation in early morning darkness. Obviously, this would not be possible when you are at home, but might be a considered as a way to begin the day when you are traveling. For reasons that I cannot now recall, I have begun with the writings of the Dalai Lama. Like Gandhi and Buddha, he interests me because his life experience is very long. The Lord Buddha is said to have lived to 81. Gandhi was assassinated when he was 80. The Dalai Lama is in his 70s. I have listened - several times to two of the Dalai Lama’s books. ‘The World in a Single Atom’ (about 5 hours) is an examination of the relationship between Western Scientific and Tibetan Buddhist ontology and epistemology. This is based on many conversations between His Holiness and Scientists including for example, Karl Popper and the German Physicist Ernst Weisacker (sp?). In particular, the book includes reflections drawn from the 10 or more years of Mind and Life Conferences at his home in exile, Dharamsala. My second listening was ‘The Art of Happiness’ an abridgment of of the most widely read of the Dalai Lama’s writings, communicating some of his most basic ideas, intended for general audiences. This has lead to a much deeper exposition, ‘How to Practice: The Art of a Meaningful Life’ which I began this morning and which will be my companion on my upcoming trip to Sri Lanka.

Possibly, heightened Buddhist sensibilities may be quite helpful in dealing with the concerns and challenges I will be facing there.

I hope all is well with you and family

Love
Dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home